What hours are the polls open?
Polling hours are from 6:00am until 7:00pm. If you are in line by 7:00pm you will be able to vote.
When is the next election?
Upcoming election dates can be viewed on our Election Calendar page.
If I am 17 but will turn 18 by the November General Election, can I register to vote?
Yes. You will be eligible to vote in any election held that year.
Where do I go to Vote on election day?
- Visit the Virginia Department of Elections polling place lookup.
- Enter your address.
- The system will display your polling place.
Where can I register to vote?
- You may register using the Virginia Department of Elections citizen portal. elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal
- You may request a Virginia Voter Registration Application from our office at 465 W. 15th Street. Suite 800, Front Royal, VA 22630.
- You may register to vote at your local Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.
- You may contact a candidate campaign, political party or other organization with voter outreach.
Do I register by political party?
No, Virginia residents do not register by party.
Do I need to bring proof that I am registered to vote?
No, you do not need to bring proof of your voter registration. All you need to bring is an ID. Refer to the next question to see the list of acceptable IDs.
What are the acceptable forms of identification on election day?
Virginia law requires all registered voters to show one acceptable ID to vote in person.
How do I apply for an absentee ballot?
There are several options available:
- You may apply online. elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal
- You can contact our office and request an absentee application be mailed to you.
- You may visit our office and complete the absentee ballot application in-person.
If during the absentee ballot voting period your application is approved, you will be allowed to cast your vote at that time.
How do I return my absentee ballot?
Below are the available options to return your absentee ballot:
- You may complete and return your ballot to your local general registrar's office by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.
- You may also return your absentee ballot to a drop-off location. A secure absentee ballot drop box is available in the lobby of the Office of Elections & Voter Registration at 465 W. 15th St. Suite 800, Front Royal during business hours.
- By mail - If you decide to return your ballot by mail, it must be postmarked on or before election day and received by your general registrar's office by noon on the third day following the election (In the event that day is a holiday, the deadline is moved to the following business day).
- Polling place - Election Day only - your absentee ballot may be returned using the absentee ballot drop box at your normal polling place from 6am-7pm on Election Day.
Why am I receiving political mailings and phone calls?
Political organizations are able to acquire voter information through a variety of sources. The Code of Virginia protects voter data, however, and the Virginia Department of Elections takes voter privacy very seriously. Many steps are taken to ensure the security of voter data, and only certain political parties, candidates, and non-profit groups are able to request lists of registered voters for authorized uses only.
These links are for informational purposes only and do not imply an endorsement for any party, political issue, or organization.